The Baddow Brewery / The Old Brewery

The old Baddow Brewery

The old Baddow Brewery

Address: 47 Church St, Great Baddow, Chelmsford CM2 7JA.

The Baddow Brewery is a Grade II building. Today it houses several businesses.

The building was designed by brewery architect George Scamell. George Scamell founded Scamell & Colyer in London. He had previously worked with Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co, during the 1860s. Scamell & Colyer continued into the early 20th century (source: The Brewing Industry, English Heritage).

Old photo of The Baddow Brewery.

Old photo of The Baddow Brewery.

According to the book Ale & Hearty, which provides a history public houses and breweries in Chelmsford:

A brewery was founded in Great Baddow in 1798 by a
Mr. Crabb. In 1866 Frederick Veley and Arthur Veley
became partners in a company known as Crabb, Veley
and Company which had thirty-seven public houses and one beer shop. A new brewery was erected in 1868. The firm was taken over by Seabrook & Sons of Grays in 1927.

Side entrance to the brewery building

Side entrance to the brewery building

Today the brewery building is called The Old Brewery and hosts several businesses including Aqualand Divers, Easyswitch Mortgages, Alexandra Anthony Ltd (accountants), Objective IT (an IT firm) and FSE Online (SEO).

Countryside Communications & Automation are also within the Baddow Brewery buildings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *