Molrams Lane was called Lovers’ Lane until around 1800, because courting couples would walk together beneath the over-hanging trees and find some privacy away from the bustle of the village. For a long time it was a desolate lane on the east side of the village, with agricultural fields to the east and the Baddow Hall Estate to the west.
The name was changed following the murder of a local resident by the name of Moll Ram, whose body was found dumped in a ditch along the lane. It is rumoured that her spirit haunts the area today. Moll used to live on the border of Great Baddow and Sandon and enjoyed drinking at the Royal Oak in Sandon. It is thought that her husband killed her.
Today, Molrams Lane is very much a one sided lane still. On the Sandon side there is only The Sandon School, its playing fields, an agricultural field and some houses up at the north end. See the map below.
The only business on Molrams Lane is Floral Street, which is operated from a residential address (and they may have now moved to Bury St Edmunds).
Hargrave House, a listed building, is now a care home with training centre attached.
The most prominiment building on Molrams Lane is of course The Sandon School